Published 25 September 2019
Hello spring. We’re so happy to see you. Time to get out and about and rediscover the wonders of country life that nestle together right on the doorstep of Melbourne. In less than an hour’s drive you can be enjoying a little lifestyle hack that is sure to have you relaxed, well fed and ready for the week ahead. Gather your friends and take a drive through the towns and open spaces of Nillumbik. Breathe in some country air and enjoy some spring sunshine. It’s time to blossom.
Here are our top Festivals and Events to get some spring in your life in Nillumbik.
Nillumbik Open Cellars
Saturday and Sunday 19 & 20 October
Nestled among rolling hills, the keen eyed will notice the tucked away vineyards that dot through the Nillumbik region. Down country roads, the vines provide patches of vivid green in among the bush terrain and it will only take one taste for wine lovers to appreciate the particular qualities of the region that form out of the unique soil and climactic conditions that define this area. If you don’t manage to visit all the wineries that are part of Open Cellars, it’s worth a few repeat trips to get around to them all!
Here are some of the wineries that can be on your ‘top tasting itinerary’!
- Butterman’s Track
- Easthill Estate
- Giammarino Wines
- Ingelwood Estate
- Nillumbik Estate Winery
- Panton Hill Vineyard and Winery
- Philip Lobley (open by appointment)
- Shaw’s Road Winery
Nillumbik Cellars is a retail outlet trading 7 days a week in Diamond Creek. They stock a wide range of local, Australian and imported wines and beverages, and have 8 wines on tasting every day. There’s a cafe and super old-fashioned service. You may never leave. More info
Eltham Mud Brick House Tour, Eltham
Sunday 20 October
A guided tour to 5 notable examples of mud brick buildings in Eltham. This event, now in its 10th year, showcases more than 50 years of learning and development in sustainable housing in the area. More info
Nillumbik Pet Expo, Diamond Creek
Sunday 20 October 2019
The Nillumbik Pet Expo attracts thousands of pet owners and animal lovers. Attractions include dog obedience displays, pet competitions, an animal nursery, snake handling display and a chance to meet Council’s rangers and local vets to have all your pet questions answered. Held at the Marngrook Oval, Diamond Creek. More info
On the Hill Festival, Panton Hill
Sunday 27 October 2019
The On the Hill Festival is a day of free activities, nature, culture, music and fabulous food for the whole family. Made On the Hill is a celebration and exhibition of craft, baking, local garden produce, preserves, floral art and writing. Held at Firefighters Memorial Park, Main Road, Panton Hill. More info
Rotary Eltham Town Fair
Saturday 9 November 12:00pm - 9:30pm & Sunday 10 November 9:00am - & 5:00pm
Rotary Eltham Town Fair has great music, fun for all the family, BBQ. Music and entertainment for all tastes and ages, stalls, activities for kids, food and wine, carnival. Spectacular fireworks display at dusk. Held at Eltham Town Square and Alistair Knox Park. More info
Every weekend there’s a market on somewhere in Nillumbik. Springtime is the perfect time to come out of hibernation and shop for market fresh fruit and vegetables and start that all -important Christmas shopping. Remember your reusable bags!
Check out our blog ‘To Market, to Market in Nillumbik’ for more information.
- St Andrews Market – every Saturday - This market is an institution on the market scene and is a must go to.
- Eltham Farmers Market – every Sunday - The Eltham Farmers’ Market is one of the best genuine farmers’ markets in Victoria
- Hurstbridge Farmers Market – 1st Sunday - Local regional produce is the heart of this market with a wide range of Nillumbik farmers and growers in attendance.
- Bollygum Market, Kinglake – 2nd Sunday - A beautiful market in a beautiful and unique childen’s park location.
- Eltham Craft and Produce – 3rd Sunday - For more than 40 years this market has been a destination for quality homemade, grown and handcrafted products, and fresh, tantalising produce.
- Kinglake Produce and Artisan Market– 4th Sunday - Yumminess at every stall: Plants, coffee, fresh produce, chutneys, sauces, candles, juices, cakes/slices, children’s activities, hot food, wine, soaps, quilts…and more!