Published 14 April 2020, updated 6 October 2020
Like having access to great minds in your living room, learning from experts that have never before been accessible, and taking a deep dive into all the things you love most with your precious time. We’re even predicting some of these virtual feats will remain with us long after isolife is over because they are so awesome!
Here are just some of the ways the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges is bringing their A Game (or should that be V for Virtual Game?) up close and personal – social distancing notwithstanding! We're getting there...not long to go now Melburnians.
1. Yarra Valley Wine and Virtual Cellar Door - On Thursday afternoons at 5pm, the Wine Yarra Valley Instagram will be taken over by some of the regions’ best winemakers, to chat during Wine Down Time about their wines and more. Order their wine pack for a couch tasting where you can ask all your vintage questions. More info
2. Yarra Valley Writers Festival – is an ongoing digital feast of words. With Sunday sessions every week with new release authors sharing the story behind their stoires, and a monthly book club to enjoy. More info
3. Innocent Bystander Virtual Tastings – what are you doing this Friday at 5pm? ‘Live Tastings Bar’, a wine tasting experience held on Facebook live, hosted by IB’s very own sommelier, Margaret, is your new go to for after-work drinks! Order the wine of the week in advance and join a virtual tasting for an intimate, yet Australia wide, appreciation of the goodness of the grape. More info
4. Don’t miss out on your favourite wine, produce and homewares – the best of the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges is online now for easy click purchasing delivering delights direct to your doorstep. More info
5. Lucas from Yarra Valley Chocolaterie is telling kid's stories every Monday morning on Facebook lives, and activities every Thursday at 9.45 am.
6. TarraWarra Museum of Art is developing a Virtual Tour and Audio guide for their current exhibition Making Her Mark: Selected Works from the Exhibition. Check here for updates. Also offering kids classes ‘Making Mondays’ every second Monday via their Facebook page. More info
7. Hop It at Home Virtual Tastings give you the best wine and chocolate tasting on your doorstep. Secure your spot online, get your tasting package delivered to your doorstep and join the online tasting with the produce makers via Zoom. The pack includes 2 wines from Steels Gate Wines, 3 cuvee chocolate bars, tasting notes, delivery and Q&A. More info
8. Watts River Brewing - Friday Night Live Music on Facebook live sessions from 6pm and 'Wednesday Winos' sessions from 8pm with speical wine guests talking and tasting all things grape and more. More info
9. Puffing Billy Railway - Connect and learn more about the Puffing Billy and the friendly faces that are part of the family with virtual behind the scenes tours, visits to the workshops and museum, meet the people and delightful fauna and flora experiences of the Dandenong Ranges. Just like being there. New content loaded to the Puffing Billy Facebook page and website every Friday. More info
10. Gumbuya World are livestreaming on Youtube here. Their cheeky Dingoes can now be seen from the comfort of your home on their brand new LIVE CAM. Get to know sisters Nara & Kiata (white), Mungi (black & tan), Tallarah (white) & Yindi (tan)!
11. Yarra Valley Garden Party is livestreaming glorious spring content on the Visit Yarra Valley Youtube channel. Amazing cooking sessions, guided walks, yoga, spring cocktails, coffee tastings and gardens galore including blossomy goodness from CherryHill and tulip time at Tesselaar. Springtime is the best!
Order some takeaway, pull on those comfy pants (if you haven’t had them on all day already) and enjoy a Yarra Valley experience that’s as real as you can get it (for now).