Published 11 March 2020
What are your perfect writing conditions? Secluded and away from the world, surrounded by books, self contained where all your needs are met, close to coffee and a little life, surrounded by nature, or in among a community of writers, artists and life lovers.
Find space to focus on your project in the Yarra Valley. A mid week sojourn, a weekend away from the demands of life could be exactly what you need to ponder the complexities of character development, complete another chapter of your grand opus, refresh your mind for new inspiration, or even get that first draft finished.
These writers havens will provide the perfect environment to get those keys tapping or that pen scribing.
Botanica Editions - Badger Creek
Surround yourself in considered luxury and contemporary design at Botanica Editions. Nourishment after a big day writing is guaranteed when you eat from the organic garden. Only 3 minutes drive to shops but utterly tucked away for serious ‘take time outers’. Cloud beds for the all important nights sleep (or serious napping). Has a large dining table for spreading out your drafts and easy couches for contemplating.
Wombat Bend - Dixons Creek
Professional and creative writing needs its own space, and a writer’s retreat at Wombat Bend offers all the home comforts you need to complete your thesis, novel, anthology or autobiography.
- Total privacy, in your own self-contained mud brick cottage - no-one to disturb you, though you may find the view and birdlife on the billabong distracting!
- 5-acres of bush walks around the grounds for inspiration and to stretch your legs
- Generous breakfast provisions of local gourmet produce and vegies from the garden will be in your Burrow on arrival - writing can make one hungry!
- Airedales to play with when your brain needs to switch off
- A fire pit with marshmallows to toast when it’s time to wind down
- The comfiest bed to welcome you at the end of a long day
- Extended stays with favourable rates for writers - contact Sue for details and check website for availability
The Burrow at Wombat Bend guarantees complete privacy and solitude so you can get on with it. If your partner needs a break too, there’ll be plenty for them to do while you’re scribbling away.
Wiggley Bottom Farm
At Wiggley Bottom Far enjoy a farmstay with all the writerly features you need. The Main House and Cottage have a desk/tables suitable for a writer or there is an apartment as well.
- Set on 15-acres of rolling paddocks, you can go and feed the animals when you need a break from writing (meet the horses, geese, miniature goats and bring your own dog to stay too)
- Healesville just a 5 min drive when you need a good coffee, cafe, restaurant, cellar door or some shops for distraction/inspiration
- Three resident dogs to play with when your brain needs to switch off
- Magical sunset from the deck of the main house and apartment
- King size bed (in the main house and apartment) - essential for a great night’s sleep after a day of writing
- Extended stays with favourable rates for writers - contact Gillie for details and check website for availability
Art at Linden Gate – Yarra Glen
Surround yourself in artistic inspiration in a delightful mud-brick cottages with king beds, kitchen, spas, wood fires and the terrace overlooking vines and views of the Yarra Valley. Wander Art at Linden Gate through the sculpture garden and on-site gallery with its regularly changing exhibitions and write away.
Healesville Apartments - Healesville
Located in the heart of town, Healesville Apartments offer stylish boutique accommodation just a short stroll from restaurants and shops but with great views of the surrounding mountains. Includes luxurious linen, spa baths and gourmet continental breakfast provisions. Enjoy inspiring writing views of the mountains from your private balcony or terrace and stroll down to the restaurants and shops after a good day on the page without worrying about driving home after an evening of fine wining and dining.
Retreat and surrender to the writing life that is your constant companion and make your words count
Need a little reading inspiration - Verso Books is located on the main street in Healesville. And libraries are scattered throughout the region (Healesville, Lilydale, Yarra Junction, Montrose, Mooroolbark) when the urge to research strikes again.
And YES! The region has NBN but wifi free may be just what you need.
Pic: Wombat Bend